Boudoir photography celebrates the human form and highlights how beautiful we are as humans. Part of my mission as a boudoir photographer is to capture the divine energy within my clients, no matter their size, shape, age, sexuality, or race. Boudoir photography is for everybody and every body type.
Having ten years of experience as a professional dancer, I understand the unique nuances of the body and how to pose it appropriately for highly refined and sophisticated boudoir portraits. I integrate this knowledge into a series of photographic angles and compositions to create breathtakingly beautiful representations of you that are both sexy and classy.
While there are many things I can do during your boudoir shoot to ensure your photos turn out exquisite, I have a few tips to offer to make sure you embody your sexiest, classiest, most confident self during your shoot.
Tell Me Your Boudoir Shoot Expectations and Fears
A boudoir shoot is an intimate experience. I want you to feel good about choosing me to be your boudoir photographer. The best way for that to happen is to make time to talk with me before your shoot. I want to get to know you and build a good rapport between us. I want to understand any concerns or apprehensions that may hinder your ability to relax and enjoy your shoot. I want to know your needs and limitations and which side you prefer to have photographed. Together, we will conquer your fears so you can be your most confident, sexy, and classy self during your shoot.
Create a Musical Playlist for Your Boudoir Shoot
Prepare a playlist with your favorite songs, and we’ll listen to them during your shoot. Doing this will lighten the mood, help you relax, and make it more fun for both of us. Having a carefree and easy atmosphere will help you open up in front of the camera, allowing your sexy, classy self to shine through.
Begin With Modest Skin Exposure
Most of my clients are somewhat nervous upon arrival, especially if it’s their first boudoir shoot. That’s why I suggest we begin your shoot with modest garments to help ease you into the experience and give you time to settle in. Wearing a soft cardigan or long sweater can be very sexy, classy, and alluring in boudoir portraits. We will begin with modest skin exposure and introductory poses to get you started. Eventually, your nerves will be calm, and you will tap into your sensual side.
Wear Soft Colors
Incorporating soft colors into your shoot is a great way to capture a classy aesthetic in your portraits. Wearing lingerie in pale hues of pink, trimmed with a touch of lace, gives off seriously sexy but classy vibes. Black, white, or neutral tones are also elegant color choices for sexy lingerie. I recommend getting a French mani-pedi for natural but vibrant-looking nails and adding a string of pearls to elevate this sexy, classy look. Keep in mind not all your garments need to be lingerie. Bring whatever makes you feel sexy and sophisticated.
Sexy Boudoir Poses
Though I will direct your boudoir shoot, you can practice a few poses at home before you arrive as a starting point to help inspire the sexy, classy energy within you.
- Lay on your back with your head hanging off the bed. Hold your legs up with a slight bend at the knee and cross one leg over the other. Place hands on each of your collar bones while looking straight ahead.
- Lie on your stomach with your elbows bent and hold your head loosely with both hands near the temples. Slightly tilt your head to one side, bend your legs at the knee and cross your calves in the air.
- Lie on your stomach while elevating your chest, arms, and head with the arm of a couch. Cross your arms and look outward. With legs bent at the knee, cross your calves in the air. This sophisticated-looking pose creates a beautiful curve along the back and hips.
- Sit on the floor, resting your elbow on the cushion of a couch with your body angled to one side. Bend your forearm and rest your head gently in your hand near the temple. Place the other hand on the side of your opposite hip. Legs are together and bent at the knee.
- Marilyn Monroe is undoubtedly one of the most iconic women in history, known for her sexy, classy style. Recreate multiple poses from her famous photoshoot, The Last Sitting, with a simple white sheet.
Those are just a few ideas to help get you in the mood. I have many more flattering poses that I can’t wait to show you. Having a solid understanding of what poses work best for different body types, I will create classy boudoir photos that make you look and feel sexy.
Additional Tips for Your Boudoir Shoot
It’s a good idea to do some stretching before you arrive and limber up your body so you can pose freely to the best of your ability. Drink plenty of water during the days leading up to your shoot to keep your skin glowing and hydrated. Shave your legs and armpits carefully to avoid visible irritation and razor burn. Have your wardrobe planned before the day of your shoot and transport garments on a hanger to keep them organized and wrinkle-free. Wear loose-fitting clothes to your shoot to avoid marks on your skin. Lastly, get ready to have some fun.
Being sexy and classy are two different things. However, it’s possible to be both at the same time. My highest priority as your boudoir photographer is to make you feel at ease, attractive, and confident so the sexy and classy side of you can spring to life during your shoot and long after we’re done. I hope this was helpful. If you have any questions, please contact me!